Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I left my heart in San Francisco

I don't really know where to start with our trip to San Francisco we did so much more than we have ever done, well discovered more. We didn't get a rental car for our entire trip which forced us to use public transportation, folks let me tell you that is the way to do it!
The first day we arrived we got straight off the plane and took a shuttle to the hotel, which sucked we had to drive all over town to drop off other people. Next time use the BART (subway). Then we headed to the BEST (I kid you not) chinese place about an hour east of SF called The Panda, not to be confused with panda express. After we ate we went to the Oakland Temple. So beautiful but of course I didn't get any pics there. We were so tired after traveling all day we went to bed at 5:30 and slept GREAT, mostly because we didn't have to wake up in the middle of the night! (thanks mom)

Friday night was the best in my opinion, Dave told me he had something planned and would not let me know what it was. All I know is we had to be at pier number 1 at 7:00. We walked around past the docks. Watched an old asian man catching fish.
even offered to give us one to take home for dinner! He was amazing catching a fish about every 2 mins. We walked past Pier number 3 where some dinner cruises were docked and I said that would be so much fun to do.... well low and behold after getting all the information and checking out the menus Dave let me in on his secret... we were going on that dinner cruise! Plus it had music and dancing! Dave is so amazing, Thanks honey for a great evening!


We've been to SF 4 times now and never been to china town. It's very busy but loads of interesting things to look at. We ate some chinese food we've never had before, watched old people play cards in the park, shopped for presents with the lowest prices in town, and admired the amazing architecture.
I wanted to look in every shop we passed but my traveling companion wasn't so keen on that idea! I did find a nice cheap knock off purse! I mean it's real... you can hardly tell the difference! The people in china town were so nice. I think after a while I would get sick of all the tourists but they are still kind.

Another place I'd never been was Boudin the sour dough bread company. I must have walked past the place 50 times before but never stopped. We still didn't go through the museum upstairs... just something for next time. I ate so much sour dough bread the past 5 days... and not sick of it yet. I even brought some home. I love this one shaped like a turtle! Couldn't resist bringing one of those home too.

I really feel like I should just post a travel log of purely FOOD, we ate so many good things. We had 4 or 5 different clam chowders, fish I've never tried before, chinese food, and most of all fresh crab and lots of it! We found a great place for breakfast, so good we went twice. The best place for clam chowder, so good we went there 3 times! We are a couple that loves good food. We were very adventurous on this trip and we reaped the rewards for doing so. We also found ferries we didn't know existed to get us to Oakland across the bay.

I love to call this "our" city as I'm sure do many others. There is just something about it that draws you in. It's been called a play ground for adults and they are right. We talked about "what if" we could live here, but we decided against it because then we wouldn't have as much fun as we do when we visit! (not to mention it's WAY out of our price range)
I could go on and on about all the things we did. About all the things we are going to do next time we go. This was our first "long" trip without our kids, and we missed them, but there were points when it was nice that they weren't there. Maybe next time they can go to. Thanks mom for watching Dallin and Sarah, we truly appreciate it! And most of all thanks to my wonderful husband for a great trip!


3 comments:

Kearl said...

Fun trip. That last picture is amazing. Postcard material.

David and Brooke Gallagher said...

How fun! I love San Francisco, I miss living there sometimes!

The Morgan's said...

How Fun!!! Sounds like you guys had a GREAT trip! You did a good job talking it up! I want to go now too! Miss you guys!