Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Dallin Surgery #2



Disclaimer: This is a LONG post, mostly for my own reasons so stop now if you don't feel like hearing the WHOLE story!

Dallin to the hospital again. about 2 weeks ago. It all started because he had a cough for almost 3 weeks and so I figured that was not normal. We went to an all new Dr. because I was just ready for a change and our other Dr. was a pretty far drive. So we had an appointment on monday where Dr. didn't know exactly what was wrong with Dallin so refered us to and Ear Nose Throat doc. But he checked Sarah and told me she had an ear infection.. Great!

Got medicine for her and then took Dallin to the ENT that wednesday. From just looking at him the doc knew he needed his tonsils out. His tonsils were HUGE, even I could tell! His speech, hearing, drooling, snoring, mouth breathing, sleeping trouble (most likely it was sleep apnea), This was all caused by his tonsils and adnoids. Plus he has constant fluid in his ears. So we scheduled surgery for that Friday (tonsils, adnoids and tubes in his ears). Yes this was all in one week.

So we waited all day for a 3pm surgery time with no food, but he
great. Great until it was time to take him back for the surgery so they gave him some "happy medicine" and boy he didn't have a care in the world! He tried to sit up in his wagon and tipped over and bonked his head and he insisted "I'm ok, I'm ok" in such a cute way.


After surgery he was upset which is normal but he was more focused on the IV in his hand than anything else. He drank 2 slurpees and a whole glass of apple juice. But the nurse would not move his IV to his foot when I asked her to.. I was thinking "come on, its my kid just do it! I'll deal with the poke" no luck. 10 mins later we had a nurse change. The new nurse... LOVE HER! Because he had drank so much she took out the IV no questions asked. So by 3 hours after surgery he was in the hospital play room running around like nothing happened.
I'm sure that was mostly due to all the drugs he had been given to help with the pain. I felt so blessed because there was another little girl in the play room with us who had the same surgery the tuesday before and was still in the hospital with an IV in her foot and I could tell she hated it. That is why Dallin is my champion!
We went home that night which I was so grateful for, Hospital bed and sleeping was not going to happen. He is fully recovered and now thinks he should be spoiled ALL the time and get slurpees on demand! But he has improved 2oo percent, He does not drool anymore! He stopped snoring that night we noticed the way he says some words is more correct now than it had been saying them. I'm so grateful for the Doctors that helped with this whole process. Hopefully we will all start being more healthy.

1 comment:

Laura {and JR} said...

those pictures are classic! love the hospital gown!